Established as late as 1783 by Landgrave Ludwig IX of Hesse-Darmstadt, "Ludwigs Winkel", which means Ludwig's corner,
is the baby in the family of local communities in southwestern Palatinate. Despite its relatively recent foundation the
village has had an eventful history; lying in border territory it has frequently, and on occasion literally,
found itself in the firing line as politicians and armies clashed on the international stage. So it will not come as a
surprise to hear that its comparatively short existence is packed full of exciting history which has left traces on the
village that are still visible today.